You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me
Sweet one, fairer than the flowers, Never will I meet one sweeter than you. Would you turn away or could you Really every care, If I'd ever dare to say, "I Love you." [Chorus] If the nightingales could sing like you, They'd sing much sweeter than they do, For you brought a new kind of love to me. If the Sandman brought me dreams of you, I'd want to sleep my whole life through, For you brought a new kind of love to me. I know that you're the queen, and I'm the slave, And yet you will understand That underneath it all You're a maid, and I am only a man. I would work and slave the whole day through If I could hurry home to you; For you brought a new kind of love to me.
Written by: SAMMY FAIN, IRVING KAHAL, PIERRE CONNOR
Lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
Lyrics Licensed & Provided by LyricFind
5 facts about this song
Song Composition and Recording
1. "You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me" is a popular song from the late 1920s, originally introduced by Maurice Chevalier in the film, "The Big Pond" (1930). 2. The song was later covered by Frank Sinatra, American singer and actor, known for his smooth, silky voice. His version was released in 1956 as part of the album "Songs for Swingin' Lovers!". 3. The song was written by the composer Sammy Fain, and the lyricists Irving Kahal and Pierre Norman.
Chart performance and Critical Reception
4. Sinatra's version of the song was critically acclaimed for his emotional connection to the lyrics, which showcased his ability to express vulnerability. 5. Though it was not one of Sinatra’s chart-topping hits, "You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me" has remained a favorite among fans and music critics for its sentimental lyrics and Sinatra's passionate performance.
Legacy and Cultural Significance
6. The song has been covered by several artists over the years, showcasing its enduring popularity and influence. Notable versions include renditions by Ella Fitzgerald, Bing Crosby, and Billie Holiday. 7. The song is still frequently played on classic jazz and pop radio stations, and is often featured in compilations of Sinatra's work.
8. Despite being of the same song, the interpretation and delivery of Sinatra and Chevalier are vastly different. Whereas Chevalier's version has a comedic, whimsical feel, Sinatra's rendition is more romantic and sincere. 9. Sinatra's version of the song is noted for its jazz-infused arrangement, which heavily features brass instruments and an easy, swinging rhythm. This complements Sinatra’s legendary phrasing style, providing a deep, warm delivery to the love song.
Usage in Popular Culture
10. Sinatra's version of the song has been used in several films and television shows, including the 2010 film "It's Kind of a Funny Story" and the 1998 film "You've Got Mail." 11. The song lyrics were also used in a perfume commercial featuring actress Marilyn Monroe in the 1950s.
Discuss the You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me Lyrics with the community:
Use the citation below to add these lyrics to your bibliography:
"You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me Lyrics." Lyrics.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 26 Sep. 2023. <https://www.lyrics.com/lyric/1259869/Maurice+Chevalier/You+Brought+a+New+Kind+of+Love+to+Me>.