Maker is a small village between Cawsand and Rame Head, situated on the Rame Peninsula, in South East Cornwall, United Kingdom. The name means a ruin in Cornish, but another Celtic name is Egloshayle, which means, the church on the estuary, a very apt description of the church's location.
In their western advance across England, the Anglo-Saxons halted at the Tamar, but in 705, King Geraint of Cornwall gave the promontory on the Cornish side of the mouth of the Tamar to Sherborne Abbey, to keep control of the Tamar mouth in Saxon hands. This was royal land, and remained in Devon until 1844.The Normans installed the Valletorts as tenants of most of the land controlling the Tamar. From them, Maker passed by marriage to the Durnford family and then to the Edgcumbe family.
The church is a typical 15th century Cornish church. It was a time of rebuilding throughout the country and churches were designed for preaching the word rather than stressing the liturgy. The aisles are the same length as the nave, and there is a massive western tower. The Edgcumbe chapel was added in 1874. The neighbouring village of Rame together with Maker form Maker with Rame parish.